Distance: 9.86 miles Time: 1:32:36 Avg Pace: 9:29
I have to start by saying that this morning's run was a total refreshment for my soul. Sometimes you go into a run with a pretty good sense of what you are getting yourself into. Other times you are totally blindsided because of poor mapping, or poor nutrition, or injury. Then there are days like today when you are emotionally blindsided... in a good way.
This has been my first "long" run in over a month, so I knew I needed it and was eager to see how my muscles would respond after several weeks of rest and my recent diet shift. It started out with a smooth and steady 7.75 miles around some of my favorite areas and hills (yes, I know, I'm crazy) near my house. My thoughts were occupied with the technical aspects of my run, my nutrition, my plans for future races, etc. But around mile 7.75-8 something awesome happened. Out of nowhere, God spoke to me in a powerful way to remind me of his love for me.
One of my favorite things, as a parent, is to see the look on my three year old daughter's face when she sees someone she loves. Her entire face lights up and she sprints like a madwoman, arms outstretched, shrieking with delight. It is such beautiful picture of pure, unrestrained love.
Today, when I was running, God brought that image to my mind and I pictured myself sprinting into his embrace: throwing all caution to the wind, nothing on my mind but the object of my worship and affection. It was such a powerful moment that I started to cry, and ran the next mile or so in tears. He reminded me, audibly, through the song playing on my ipod, that His "arms are always stretched out to me", and over the course of the next mile and a half reminded me that He has created and gifted me with all of the things I love. My husband and daughter, running, the sun shining down on me, the soft breeze, the tree-lined streets near my house; they were all a gift to me this morning, which is what He meant for me to see and feel today.
I walked through the door with a full heart and feeling totally refreshed.
No comments:
Post a Comment